Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Parents trying to write a parenting blog

So I took an unwitting hiatus from blog writing. Why? Well I have a very energetic and talkative five year old. This would not be a problem but I am a very energetic and talkative forty-nine year old. It's like having two monkeys bouncing off the walls and making merry together.

The thing about being a parent writing a parenting blog is....well, you're busy being a parent. I also do not work outside the house so my energy gets sucked into this vortex of shenanigans that is also labeled "stay at home parenting". But here you go, no more excuses. One of my thoughts for this year was that as writer I have been busy being a parent and forgot that I was a writer. Now it's time to...wait for it...do both. And it's not a parenting blog anymore, I think it's just a busy life blog, something we can all relate to.

Here's a typical dinnertime exchange between me and the five year old force of nature:


Last night's dinner stream of consciousness. It was just he and I chatting. (I've started writing these down as we go.)
Nicholas: Scuba divers!!!!
Me: What about scuba divers? What made you think of scuba divers?

Nicholas: Listen Mama. Scuba divers don’t get water in their masks. They can keep their breath working. I’d like to do that. And wrestle a bear.
(pauses to eat some of his food)
You know, you could be a chef. You can cook and do your own restaurant because you’re an adult grownup person. You can wear the chef hat.
Me: I don't really want to own a restaurant. Do you?
Nicholas: I don't want to own a restaurant. I can't wear the Hat! Duh. I am not a grownup person. Aren't you listening!??! 
(takes a few more bites)
How come sometimes when you make me Mac and cheese the cheese gets crispy. I don't like that most of the time. But today I did. I like when you kill the cheese on top. I love corn on the cob! Do monsters eat corn on the cob? I bet they burp when they do. Go look that up for me. (waves me off)

No comments:

Post a Comment