Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Daily Conversations With A Kiddo

A friend who doesn't have kids asked me what you talk about with a kid all day. Here is an example, this was just this morning between 8 and 9 am. This is pretty much how it goes all day long.

N: Why do you call me kiddo? Im just a kid.
Mama: Well, my first grade teacher Mrs.Heckendorf always called us kiddos and so did my third grade teacher Mrs. Losee. I think that was the cool word back then.
N: That must’ve been a long time ago mama, I never hear that word again except when you say it. Was it like an old people word?
Mama: No! It was the 1970s and it was a cool word.
N: 1970s? Thats when it was all Panic in the Disco right?
Mama: It was just disco, Panic in the Disco is the band you like that sings High Hopes.
N: Oh that’s a good one. And he likes to sing with Taylor Swift, Me-ee-ee! She’s a girl singer. She's a girl.
Mama: Yes, I love that song.
N: That’s the one with the umbrellas and dancing.
Mama: Yes, what other songs do you like?
N: I like Gonna Take My Horse to the Old Town Road. 
Mama: Oh yes, I like that one too.
N: Also Pour Some Sugar on Me and Detroit Rock City.
(Pause)
N: Columbus Bue Jackets. Where is that?
Mama: That’s in Ohio.
N: Have you been there? What about St. Louis Blues? Id like to go there. It looks beautiful and it has a big arch and they watch hockey outside.
Mama: Haven't been to either place
N: Mama, what are we even talking about, I forget.

That last sentence says it all. If you know me well, then he is exactly the same. Lots of talking. Not really sure what we are talking about half the time but I love that he wants to talk to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment